EUROPEAN INTERNSHIP CONSORTIA has been established by 8 partner institutions including Istanbul Kültür University as the coordinator institution (Istanbul Şehir University, Üsküdar University, Kadir Has University, Sabancı University, Istanbul Chamber of Industry, Turkish Informatics Foundation, Turkish Cultural Foundation–AFS) within the scope of “Mobility Project for Higher Education Students and Staff” under the “Erasmus+ Learning Mobility of Individuals” (Key Action 1) within the ERASMUS+ Programme which is funded by the European Commission and Turkish Republic, and will continue between the years of 2014-2020.
European Internship Consortia aims to combine mobility experiences gained by the higher education institutions between the years of 2004-2013 with employment profiles of the sectors. Within internship mobility, national and international communication networks are planned to be established through mutual experience sharing between industry, universities, non-governmental organizations and professional representatives.
- European Internship Consortia will support internship mobility of university students and mobility of academic/administrative university staff within the framework of Erasmus+ Programme.
- Ultimate objective of European Internship Consortia is to develop a cooperation culture between industry, universities, non-governmental organizations and professional representatives which will in turn contribute to the objectives of increasing employment of skilled workforce and modernization of higher education within the scope of the common objectives of Vision 2023 and Europe 2020
Objectives of European Internship Consortia can be summarized as follows:
- Establishing a useful international internship network including higher education institutions,
- Providing the relations between higher education institutions and professional institutions with a functional structure that works fastly and meets sectoral expectations,
- Communicating with similar Consortias in Europe and providing transfer of experiences and good practice examples between Consortias within the scope of cooperation, and thus strengthening the university-industry cooperations at international level,
- Providing the labor market with university graduates who have enhanced competences and meet the labor profile needed by the sector,
- Contributing to enhancement of the synergy between higher education institutions by virtue of the cooperation and experince gained through the Consortia,
- Establishing a practical and functional frame for the cooperations established between higher education institutions and industry within the scope of internship mobility, and providing transfer of the experiences gained within this cooperations framework to universities through updating curricula and/or developing new curricula.
- Targeted outcomes within the scope of the Consortia are as follows:
- Providing students with skills to improve themselves and manage their careers in the light of the experinces they gain in internship, and be active in building their own careers,
- Creating awareness in accordance with the objectives of the Consortia in sectors where internship mobility will be carried out,
- Providing students with the opportunity to gain international experience and vision while performing practices related to their academic field of study, and improving students’ adaptation skills in multicultural workplace environments,
- Providing that students gain work experience principally during their period of study and/or providing them with internship opportunity immediately after their graduation so that they can have a good start in their careers,
- Promoting students’ entrepreneurial potential,
- Providing positive discrimination for disadvantaged students (handicapped, economically disadvantaged, orphans etc.) to provide equality of opportunity in employment,
- Setting a good example in Turkey, and supporting establishment of more Consortias by sharing the experiences with other institutions.